Re: [LUG] Panasonic HD recoder

On Fri, 2012-11-16 at 19:14 +0000, bad apple wrote:
> On 16/11/12 18:35, Brad Rogers wrote:
> > On Fri, 16 Nov 2012 18:13:59 +0000
> > bad apple <ifindthatinteresting@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > Hello bad,
> >
> >> The mind boggles. Are you saying that you need to register on a website
> >> somewhere, and that website somehow doesn't support any browser running
> >> on linux? I must be missing something, surely...
> > You have to d/l the player, which runs only on Windows or Mac, and
> > register devices from within that software.
> >
> > 'Asinine' doesn't even begin to cover it, IMO....
> >

> Thanks for the info Brad - that's a pretty amazingly crappy setup that
> only a room full of suits could possibly have thought was a good idea.
>
> I wish to god that this sort of stupidity still surprised me these days,
> but, well. Sadly, it seems to be the norm.
>
> As an aside, what the hell? DivX? In 2012? What possible point is there
> in it's continued existence? Especially with this sort of 'value-added'
> hoop-jumping nonsense attached.
>
> I googled the product and immediately noticed it can't even play mkv
> containers over the network (it's DNLA equipped) so they've crippled the
> most useful non-TV related feature out of the box, just like Sony's PS3.
> Apparently it will play back mkvs from local USB storage but will refuse
> DTS soundtracks, amongst others. Mind boggling.
>
> So Kevin, if you like money, take it back for a refund. If you're a
> badass, and/or hate money, don't take it back: take it outside and BURN it.
>
> Cheers

Thanks for the comments!
The HD freeview part is the reason Amanda wanted it so I have to live
with it ( no cable or satellite in Minions ) but I am saddened about
playing with a networked media player which wont play most videos.
My MediaTomb server plays Music and Photos fine on it

My son has a Mac Book so I will get him to register the box and then I
can play with  the video side.

Regards

Kevin Lucas
Minions Post Master(Sub)