Re: [LUG] Panasonic HD recoder

On 16/11/12 17:51, Kevin Lucas wrote:
> I have got a  Panasonic DMR-HW220 which says I have to register to play
> Divx movies so I try and get nowhere on Linux
> This is the response from Divx Support!
>
> "Dear ###
>
> * Case # ######### - Click here to view or update your case
>
> Problem\Question:
> I have a new Hard disk Freeview Recorder but in my House I only run
> Linux How do I register my Device for Divx?
>
> DivX Support Team Response:
> We do not offer a possibility to register the a DivX certified device
> only through a PC or a Mac.
>
> You can visit the DivX support page for additional support resources.
> http://rovicorp.force.com/divxsupporthome
>
> Regards,
> DivX Support Team "
>
> The player has a Linux kernel it runs MediaTomb just great but I cant
> get it registered!
>
> Perhaps they'll be an Android app for it soon?

The mind boggles. Are you saying that you need to register on a website
somewhere, and that website somehow doesn't support any browser running
on linux? I must be missing something, surely...

Why would you have to register to unlock access to a codec (DivX) that
would already have been licensed by Panasonic, and the cost amortized
into the total cost of the box they've now sold to a customer (i.e.,
you)? Microsoft don't make you manually register with Fraunhoffer and
all the other codec suppliers they've licensed software from and
included in their OS before you can use it.

I really don't understand what you have written here, and would love
some clarification. But, yeah, what Kevin just said. Take that shit back
and tell them what they can do with it.

Regards