[LUG] update

Another real quickie...

A quiet Build Your Own Computer on Saturday 3rd, which suited me
nicely, as I could run it solo.  I think we're on for a similar
session this coming Saturday (17th).  There are places, but if you
want to book in, could you let me know by Wednesday, please, so that I
can arrange for extra staff if needed?

If you're expecting to come and haven't heard from me individually,
can you remind me, please?  I worry I might have taken a booking
orally and omitted to record it.

BTW, BYOC is £20 for non-members, but £10 for members.  As a month's
membership is £10, we're offering a month's membership free to anyone
who pays £20 for BYOC.

I'd like to thank Gordon Henderson, who's come down from Devon for the
last two Raspberry Jams (2nd and 4th Thursdays of each month).  He
brings a wealth of experience and projects (his simple 'ladder board',
connecting a set of buttons and lights to the Pi so that one can
program simple standalone games, is now on sale via Tandy for, I
think, £7: if there's a demand, I'll ask him about stocking a few
here.  (He's donated us one, which some of our young regulars can
build this week or next.

We're attracting a young crowd for these, which is nice, but I need to
do a little work on ensuring that there are well-gauged activities for
everyone.  I'll consult over the next week or two, and work out how
this can best be managed, then get some more structure in place, which
means making some choices about what ground in programming and
electronics people want to cover.

I favour learning through project work, and I'm told there are more
than a few youngsters keen to participate in robot-building in some
way.  This could work, but there's a lot to work out.

I'm personally very interested in running From NAND to Tetris to a
mixed-age group early in the new year.  Doable, they say, in a term,
but it'll require some dedication.  Who's interested?
(see:
http://www.nand2tetris.org/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IlPj5Rg1y2w
)

On the subject of youth activities, three of the staff (me included)
have applied for enhanced CRB checks, to make sure we're on the level
for working with young people.  I've made overtures to a couple of the
local schools (Bolitho, Humphry Davy), hoping to co-ordinate some
after-school activities, but no response :(  We'll announce junior
membership and activity rates soon.

Finally, this Wednesday's social activity (from 6:30) is a board game
evening: this month's game is Eclipse
(http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/72125/eclipse#description)

David