Re: [LUG] Linux - and security

 On 06/11/2012 14:12, Martijn Grooten wrote:
On Tue, Nov 6, 2012 at 12:49 PM, Simon Robert -Cottage wrote:
Yup facebook, google and amazon are logged in always, so I suppose our
burglar could order stuff from amazon (needs a delivery address)
...which they can find easily using money mules.

If someone parks in the drive, sniffs my FTP credentials and somehow manages
to set up a botnet with the hosting company, well it's the hosting companies
problem not mine.
While this may be true in the legal sense (actually, I'm not sure
about this at all), if someone uses your site to serve bad stuff, your
site could be blocked by security software, including anti-phishing
tools built inside browsers these days. Your host could also decide to
take down your site altogether, at least temporarily. In effect this
could mean that few resp. no people could visit your website.

If the stuff they upload is _really_ bad, the police may want to have
a word with you, and they may want to have that word at their place
rather than yours.
On a related note, I've just had my annual dental appointment, and as it's very local to me forgot to turn WiFi off on my phone. When I arrived I happened to glance at my phone and see an available network called NETGEAR, wide open. This reminded me that the last time I went their network was open as well, so I mentioned it to the receptionist, and she said 'We have been told before'.. I laughed and said 'Probably by me last year..' She told me they had informed the boss; clearly he didn't think it was at all important, so I reiterated the points you've just made Martijn, particularly pointing out that as they are knowingly running an open network if it's used for illegal purposes they could/would be held liable.

What gets me is they couldn't even be bothered to changed the default SSID so anyone with half a brain could go online and get the default username and password for their router and *really* cause them trouble.

Julian