Re: [LUG] I've had it with Ubuntu

On 07/11/12 10:46, tom wrote:
> On 07/11/12 09:17, Gordon Henderson wrote:
>> On Wed, 7 Nov 2012, tom wrote:
>>
>>> Yesterday my machine updated a few packages and now it wont even run
>>> unity any-more.
>>> I have three machines with 12.04 on and they are all borked one way
>>> or another - mostly OpenGL is totally screwed (they're all Nvidia).
>>> I normally use XFCE destop but occasionally drop into Unity to try
>>> and sort out printing and fileshareing which has also gone
>>> completely tits up as the 'upgrade' overwrote configs in a 'secure'
>>> way and then hid the mechanism for fixing it in case it scares the
>>> user.
>>> I have no idea what Unity was meant to achieve for someone who
>>> actually uses a computer to compute and not just as an interface to
>>> the net but its so badly screwed I'm going to completely get rid of
>>> it and move to xubuntu unless anyone else is having similar problems
>>> with that.
>>
>> What do you need, or think you need in ubuntu that Debian (testing)
>> won't give you?
>>
>> Gordon
>>
> Currently I'm trying to learn Blender (and a couple of other CAD
> packages) so its got to run OpenGL well on Nvidia - as by accident I
> have 3 machines with that on board so ideally I'd like it to simply
> install NVIdia without anything more than agreeing to use a
> proprietary driver... which used to be a LOT faster - I cant really
> tell now! Debian doesn’t seem to cover some 'legacy' Nvidia.
> Ubuntu worked fine until 11.10 in this respect
> I'd like all my machines to run the same distribution - the family use
> them - and I did originally choose Ubuntu as it looked like it would
> be the major linux 'desktop'. I'm getting a new machine for backing
> everything up and proxying (another viglen £1pa to run) and I will
> migrate everything to xubuntu (possibly one to ubuntustudio if that
> will not force Unity as a DE) and see how we go from there.
> Tom te tom te tom

I don't have experience with Mint but perhaps Mint - debian  could be
the answer,  it seems to have the ease of installing 3rd party stuff,
without the issues that ubuntu comes with.

for a family file server etc.  I am sure most people here would suggest
Debian,  you can run purely free software without the issues that closed
source software adds ( bugs,  security problems etc)  But you don't need
openGL or nvidia support on a server.

Just a thought

Paul

http://drupal.zleap.net