Re: [LUG] Time to upgrade

On 26/10/12 10:36, Migel Wimtore wrote:
> I put kubuntu on my parents pc and they are pretty happy with it. It's
> Ubuntu based, obviously, so it is nice and easy for me to administer
> (package and advice availability). Is that on the list (I'm not digging
> back through this thread to find your four, am on a phone)?

Yes, both kubuntu and Mint KDE are possibles, having used both in the past.

 As far as
> the hd goes - figure out what size you want, then procure it. I recently
> got a 2tb usb3 drive and I love it. Had made do with a 300 gb before
> that and it suited fine, it cost £70, four or five years ago, so
> something like that should be very affordable now. Also an ssd (solid
> state 'drive') is an option: faster, but smaller and more pricey. I am
> getting good speeds with my new (non ssd) 2tb drive and a usb3
> expresscard expansion card in my laptop, and don't have to sacrifice
> storage density or put down so many dabloons.

That sounds good. I suppose it is a matter of luck really whether you
get a drive that just works or one that has problems. Hence the variety
of review results.

> Incedendaly (I mention again), do you have any old internal drives?
> Because a caddy (connection kit) for one of those is very cheap. Just
> remember you will need 2.5 inch for laptop and 3.5 for desktop, and
> either ide or sata connectors (on the caddy), if it's an old drive:
> probably ide. Cheers.

Thanks for the info. I now remember what a SSD is about. It seems to me
that that would be more useful for someone who wanted to use it all the
time. I am mainly looking for somewhere to store my current /home
folders and files. Then, once I have installed the new distro I will be
able to copy whatever I want from the external drive to the new /home
partition.

Then the external HD would be used occasionally for backup. I have my
own web site so at the moment really critical files are stored there as
backup, but that is only a few files. An external HD could store many
more files more easily and quickly.

Yes, I do have some old internal hard disks around somewhere. I must see
if I can find them! We are talking desktop here so 3.5 inch is the way
to go. These hard disks are quite old mind, so I suspect they will be
IDE. If so I may decide not to bother with this old technology.

Regards

Neil