Re: [LUG] Time to upgrade

On 25/10/12 19:59, bad apple wrote:

> Yes, that would have been me - running any operating system that stopped
> getting security fixes 6 months ago is probably not a good idea!
>
> Is 500Mb a typo?

Yes, of course, I meant 500 gigabytes. Oops! Currently my home partition
is using about 170 Gb.

That's a *really* small /home. In your case, why bother
> with an external USB drive if you have so little to back up? An easier
> option would be to buy 2 x 16Gb USB thumbdrives (less than £10 each from
> your choice of online retailer) and set your backup tool (good old rsync
> from cron is my favourite) to automatically synchronise your /home once
> a day. Unlike expensive, slow USB attached disks, a 16Gb stick will
> survive being dropped, put through the washing machine, etc and for £20
> you get redundant backups. Being so small, it's easy to drop one off at
> work/the girlfriends/wherever so even if your house burns down you've at
> least got your data safe.
>
> Whilst you're buying drives online, I would hugely recommend plunking
> ~£100 on a 128Gb SSD (I'm partial to the Corsair Force 3 models) to use
> as your OS drive. If you've never used one before, the speed increase
> will absolutely blow you away. Adding more RAM used to be the default
> "best bang for buck" upgrade to any computer but not any more. Even if
> you've only got SATA2 on your PC, the performance increase is awesome
> (and you can buy an el cheapo PCIe SATA3 card for less than £15 anyway).
>
> What's your shortlist of 4 distros incidentally?
Already answered that one. Yes, I have had a look at Debian and I find
it all scary. There is so much there I really can't decide which one to try.

Not quite sure what you mean about getting a SSD drive. Will research it.

Thanks

Neil