Re: [LUG] Time to upgrade

I put kubuntu on my parents pc and they are pretty happy with it. It's Ubuntu based, obviously, so it is nice and easy for me to administer (package and advice availability). Is that on the list (I'm not digging back through this thread to find your four, am on a phone)? As far as the hd goes - figure out what size you want, then procure it. I recently got a 2tb usb3 drive and I love it. Had made do with a 300 gb before that and it suited fine, it cost Â70, four or five years ago, so something like that should be very affordable now. Also an ssd (solid state 'drive') is an option: faster, but smaller and more pricey. I am getting good speeds with my new (non ssd) 2tb drive and a usb3 expresscard expansion card in my laptop, and don't have to sacrifice storage density or put down so many dabloons.
Incedendaly (I mention again), do you have any old internal drives? Because a caddy (connection kit) for one of those is very cheap. Just remember you will need 2.5 inch for laptop and 3.5 for desktop, and either ide or sata connectors (on the caddy), if it's an old drive: probably ide. Cheers.