Re: [LUG] 3d engineering

On 22/10/12 10:49, Robin Cornelius wrote:
On 22 October 2012 10:41, tom <tompotts@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

What puzzles me is there seems to be nothing available for direct creation
of the models. I guess there’s some not so cheap tool somewhere.
I cant find my 20 year old C++ 3D object model builder that would take about
2 hours to convert to write gmsh or elmer input. Neither of them are
difficult but some people cant get their heads round doing text files...

I think its probably a lack of opensource and or cheap tools that is
the issue. gmsh and getdp are fantastical powerful but hard to use and
i've seen very little else that is a complete tool.

The tools i use all have there own system for drawing models or can
accept standard autodesk files. The other tools tend to use solidworks
and/or flavors of 3d autocad things all of which are extreme amounts
of money. I think the full 3D version of magnetics fea that we were
looking at was between £10k and £20k depending on what solvers we had.

Robin

I've been looking around and it seems all the parts are there - just the model builder frontend - Elmer is just step away ....

Tom te tom te tom