Re: [LUG] Cash injection for Computer Science Teacher Training

 On 21/10/2012 09:35, Tom Brough wrote:
http://www.publicservice.co.uk/news_story.asp?id=21191

While I welcome the UK governments shift from teaching narrow ICT skills
to teaching Computer Science at secondary level (well its a start) and
the cash injection they have put aside for it . Did they have to go and
talk to Microsoft about it?

Is it just my celebrated paranoia or is this like the fenderation asking
the borg to train its star fleet cadets?
As some of you know, despite being on the DC LUG (you're a friendly knowledgeable bunch so why not? :)) I live in South Wales. My immediate reaction to this is that it will create a two tier system in the UK. AFAIK teachers who train in England cannot teach in Wales and vice versa (if this is wrong I'm happy to be corrected). Therefore, unless the Welsh Assembly also offer the £20K bounty to ICT teacher trainees (not currently the case when I spoke to the Programme Director for PGCEs at a local university last week) there will be an immediate exodus to England. That in turn will lead to an increase in ICT teachers in England and a decrease in Wales to the point where Welsh ICT will become the *blank* step-child of English IT.

Julian