Re: [LUG] Raspberry Pi RAM doubled :-)

 On 16/10/2012 12:15, Rob Beard wrote:
On 16/10/12 11:47, Julian Hall wrote:
  On 15/10/2012 19:09, Rob Beard wrote:
On 15/10/12 18:26, Gordon Henderson wrote:
I certainly hope they don't end up in landfill,  if you're going to
chuck it away,  donate it to a school at least :)   I am sure the
school
i work at would have one or two.  :)

Which won't work when they eventually release all the educational
software for schools designed to work on the 512MB models only.

OK, so maybe I'm a tad cynical here, however, let's wait and see...

Gordon

Could be worse, could be a Windows Phone :-)

Rob

*twitch*

Don't set me off again :)

http://www.kaotic.co.uk/wp7-wishlist.html - and no.. there's still no
change.  Next phone will be Android.

Julian

Just looking through your wish list...

"Message (SMS) Alerts: Why does it only alert you once? Every other phone I've had bleeps until you actually read the message ensuring you never miss one. It's easy to miss one with WP7."

My Android phone doesn't do that either, don't think it ever did on the stock Samsung version of Android with Touchwiz, and certainly doesn't on CyanogenMod. It notifies me and that's it. Actually coming to think of it I don't think any of my phones have alerted me by tone more than once :-)
Perhaps I should have phrased that as ''Dumb' phones alert you until you look at the message, why don't 'smart' ones?' although apparently the Huawei Ascend G300 blinks its power light when there is an unread message.. better than nothing :)
"Direct Printing from phone: Why is this not standard? I'm not about to upload personal documents or photos to a third party server just to print them on the printer sat two feet away. Yet when I plug the phone in via USB the printer says it is an incompatible device! Failing that WiFi; my printer is accessible via my network and has WiFi on it anyway. This needs fixing ASAP. MSDN has a developer who has written a DLL to do this yet nobody has taken it and written an app making use of it."

I can see how that can be annoying. In my case on my phone there is an App available for download from Epson to print over wifi. Not used it though. Not sure if the phone supports direct printing (I think possibly the issue here would be supporting Cups on Android, but I guess the individual apps do the job here).
I found an app to print on my Canon from my Android tablet over WiFi.. this is what I'd have liked to see on WP7.
"Audio recording application: All other smartphone OSs can record voice messages but this very useful function is missing from WP7. Why?"

Nope, haven't got this either. There are apps available, even apps that can record phone calls although the thing that bugs me is they don't work properly on my Galaxy S (I did manage to get it working once on Gingerbread by changing a kernel module, but then upgraded to Cyanogenmod and lost the feature again :-/)

"SatNav: TomTom and Garmin have snatched defeat from the jaws of victory by stating publicly they won't produce a SatNav app for WP7 (especially strange for TomTom given they already did one for Windows Mobile 6.5). This leaves the ball squarely in Microsoft's court to fill a yawning chasm in the market."

Can't comment on this on other Windows Phones, but my daughter's Nokia Lumia 710 has Nokia Maps and it's actually pretty good.
That's a 7.5 Mango phone. Nokia Maps is obviously only available for Nokia as I've got all the latest updates. What annoys me is a German SatNav manufacturer (whose name escapes me for a mo) created a SatNav app for German WP7 phones but won't do it for anyone else. Argh.
"Access to home network: I can access the Internet through my home network, and my phone has the ability to read the files on it. In fact I can read and write files to it on my Android tablet PC! It would be nice then if WP7 had the ability to map Windows network drives so that I can read files currently on my system instead of (as mentioned above) having to email any files I need to read to the phone. Android has this function - even 1.6 on my tablet! - so why hasn't WP7?"

Erm... it can do that on Android?

Only way I've found to be able do that myself is to install a 3rd party app (in my case ES File Explorer) which allows me to open Windows shares, SSH sessions, FTP/SFTP sessions. I don't use it much as it's slow as hell over wifi and usually craps out when copying large files. :-/
Well yes in fairness that's what I meant. There is no app to do it on WP7, and to be honest I would expect Microsoft to make *their own* phone OS compatible with their own network. Sadly they couldn't be bothered.

Oh and did I mention *Windows* Phone 7 won't play *Windows* Media Video files? *given up*

...and Zune... oh got what a steaming pile of crap that is. My daughter (who is 12) has a 'child' Windows Live account so she can't actually download apps to her phone without plugging it into a PC running Zune (which we don't have). Can't even update existing apps over the air.

Wouldn't be so bad if Microsoft had the option to plug the phone into the XBOX and update it that way (actually to be fair I haven't tried that yet, might give it a go :-D).

Rob

Why don't Microsoft just treat the phone as an external HD as other 'dumb' phones do, and let you just back up that way?

I think you're right.. a couple of my gripes are to do with apps not being available, but I think the majority are functions which I feel personally the OS should have been able to do out of the box - the missing full backup is a classic example.

Julian