Re: [LUG] Other problems while mounting Buffalo HDD

On 02/10/12 17:21, Brad Rogers wrote:
On Tue, 02 Oct 2012 16:55:25 +0100
Martin Gautier <martin.gautier@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hello Martin,

(what model)? I think ATI is to be avoided but can be persuaded o
S'funny that, coz there are plenty that say nVidia is to be avoided.
I've never used ATI myself, but have many good reports.  I've also read
just as many bad reports.  Same applies to nVidia GFX.

Largely, it comes down to personal preference and whose opinions you
value the most.

I'd have to totally agree with this. These days, in my considerable experience, pretty much all Nividia and AMD cards will be reliable, supported and entirely satisfactory but there are a lot of horror stories out there... Buyer beware, and do your research before giving anyone your money.

Either way, Nvidia or AMD will require you to use their monolithic, closed, proprietary blob drivers. There are open source alternatives like nouveau but sadly they are always buggy and lack support for anything really new. Weird as it seems, Intel is currently by far the most open graphics system vendor.

Regards