Re: [LUG] Other problems while mounting Buffalo HDD

On 02/10/12 16:55, Martin Gautier wrote:

> On 02/10/12 16:39, bad apple wrote:
>> Chief, buy yourself a low end gigabyte motherboard, a Core I3 and 8-16Gb
>> of DDR3 RAM and never look back. You'll thank me later.
> A good start. What about graphics? Onboard Intel or separate nVidia
> (what model)? I think ATI is to be avoided but can be persuaded o
> therwise...

If you're not into games, onboard graphics should be fine. However,
needs can change --- my wife's laptop has recently become a gaming
machine for my kids, and it runs Minecraft incredibly slowly on the
onboard Intel graphics. Admittedly it's a few years old now, and
certainly highly underpowered compared to a core i3.

All my linux machines have ATI graphics (2 desktops and a laptop, all
with different cards), and I've had no problems. I run Ubuntu on all of
them, currently xubuntu 12.04. ATI cards tend to be cheaper than
equivalent NVidia ones.

You should be able to get a reasonable ATI PCI Express card for less
than £30.

Anthony
--
Author of C++ Concurrency in Action     http://www.stdthread.co.uk/book/