Re: [LUG] Samba - not the dance

On 20/09/12 12:18, George Parker wrote:
> On 18/09/12 01:45, Jason Witcher wrote:
>> On 17 September 2012 18:22, Neil Winchurst <barnaby@xxxxxxxxxxxx
>> <mailto:barnaby@xxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:
>>
>>     I have been searching the web some more and it is obvious that
>>     Samba is
>>     not what I need. So I have been looking at NFS, but it all seems over
>>     complicated to me. Perhaps someone on the list could point to a
>>     simple
>>     set up or perhaps I am asking too much.
>>
>>     I expected to find a simple way to set up a system whereby my
>>     daughter
>>     could link to my computer from her laptop via the router connection
>>     which we have already and then just look at the files in a particular
>>     folder on my hard drive. Well, what do I know?
>>
>>     In my example I referred to some photos I had taken. They are on my
>>     desktop because I can prepare them for her using the Gimp. She is not
>>     interested in doing that for herself, so the images might as well
>>     be on
>>     my hard drive from the start. It is obviously going to be simpler for
>>     her to sit at the desktop and view the photos there.
>>
>>     When we had the chat about Samba I did not realise what was
>>     involved. I
>>     should have known better. Sorry to have wasted people's time,
>>
>>     Neil
>>

> I agree with Jason, certainly not a waste of time. You can't know
> enough about sharing in my opinion.
>
> The first thing to do is to decide exactly what it is you need to
> share.  Is it just within the house? Is it just a couple of machines
> occasionally? Is it a lot of machines?  Is it a complete share of
> /home or just a few files in a /Share directory? Do you need any files
> synchronised?  Do you share with Windows? Etc., etc.,...
>
> I have at least 3 machines to share within the house and they all run
> Debian based distros.  I need to share the /home directories. I don't
> share Windows. I need to synchronise apps such as Gramps and Tellico
> as I work on them from different computers.
>
> I set each computer on the router so that it boots onto the house
> network with a fixed internal I/P address.
>
> I set up NFS on every computer pretty much as Gordon described.  The
> only problems I've had with NFS is when I had some disks formatted
> ext3 and some as ext4.  I now format all as ext4 and have no problems.
>
> I have one computer as a sort of server as it is on all day and I have
> that mounted automatically at boot on the other machines. It appears
> on the desktop as "home_computer name" with the mounted disk symbol. I
> mount the others as required on the "server" under their own names.
>
> I use Unison to synchronise data as and when required.
>
> This works for me. I have to find a reasonable way to share photos
> with my 4 kids and other family who are scattered around the country
> but that is another story.  I am ashamed to say I have never used SSH
> in the 10 years I have been playing with Linux (which I still
> [...]
Maybe there is a flow chat somewhere,  that can help determine for
others the best way forward

so each box has yes or now and eventually ends with use nfs,  use file
server + nfs,  use samba,  depending on the route and questions asked
and the answers to those.

I know this won't provide a one stop answer but it can help people think
about their set up and help them determine possible solutions.

Paul

http://drupal.zleap.net
skype : psutton111

http://www.raspberrypi.org