Re: [LUG] Samba - not the dance

On Mon, 17 Sep 2012, Kai Hendry wrote:

Hi guys, file sharing is an interesting topic.

I really think using SAMBA or NFS is not the way forward. Avoid!

Bolox.

NFS is designed to serve files via the network and has been doing it well before http came into existance.

Running a httpd on every device is.

And that's different from running an NFS on every device because ...

When I get some time, I will update
https://github.com/kaihendry/FTP2.0 to have drag and drop support like
the Flickr uploader. That makes it a lot easier to share. Of course
there are discovery issues next, and if one could formalise a simple
directory listing format over httpd, I think you could go quite far,
quite quickly.

You don't need to do any of that - you just run the file browser of your choice on your computer and access the remote files via NFS (or CIFS if you must). It's all there, already been done and it works. You're just re-inventing a wheel that already works.

Gordon