Re: [LUG] ICT Officer (Technical)

On 30/08/12 14:57, Philip Whateley wrote:
> On 30/08/12 11:32, paul sutton wrote:

>>> Ye gods. Look at the salary:  £16,440 - £19,621
>>>
>>> For a technical post; Screw that!
>>>
>>> Gordon
>>>

>> Yeah,  but low salaries due to illiterate employers are common in the
>> south west,
>>
>> I saw a post the other day expecting level 2 childcare learning and
>> development and AGAIN paying just above the minimum wage,   And
>> employers wonder why they can't get staff with the right skills.
>>

>> Paul
>>
> OK - as someone who works in EY childcare I can answer that - totally
> off topic!
>
> Government specifies that councils must provide 15 hours per week of
> free childcare for every child over 38 weeks.
>
> Government also specifies the amount of money councils spend on
> childcare. In the case of DCC, the council pay £3.62 per hour per child
> for parents' free entitlement. This has been frozen for 3 years.
>
> Government also specifies the ratios (Statutory Framework for Early
> Years Foundation Stage) of staff to children (currently 1:8 for 3 year
> olds and 1:4 for 2 year olds). The welfare requirements really mean that
> you need a minimum of 4 staff even with about 15 to 24 children in a
> "session" otherwise the quality of provision suffers dramatically. These
> requirements are enforced by Ofsted.
>
> In terms of pay, the industry standard in Devon is to pay level 2 Early
> Years / Childcare or unqualified at national minimum wage only and level
> 3 at around £6.90 / hour. As a PhD qualified senior manager I can afford
> to pay myself 99p above national minimum wage!!!
>
> At those rates we just about survive using fund-raising to top up our
> income. I think anyone offering anything above national minimum wage for
> level 2 is actually being quite generous. Most of the commercial
> nurseries only employ apprentices as the lower paid staff (for whom the
> national minimum wage is only £2.60/hour) and then sack them when they
> qualify - but then they need to turn a profit, which as a charity we don't.

So gaining a qualification has no benefit as you are basically
unemployable due to being Qualified.

> In addition when we have SEN children, or children with a Protection
> Plan/Order, we have to swallow a significant amount of extra work for
> which there is little or no funding. As a result, most of the managers
> end up working about double the hours they are paid for. So, my
> effective hourly rate is probably about £4/hour. We also often have to
> employ 1:1 SEN workers for whom we get 33% of the cost.
>
> And - ultimately - yes, you are absolutely right, it is an appalling
> wage; but the blame lies with Government, and DCC who are attempting to
> meet the statutory sufficiency of places at minimum cost. All this to
> meet government targets to get more parents into work and reduce the
> bill for Working Tax Credit.
>
> It is not the fault of the employers, who are squeezed between fixed
> income, fixed staffing numbers, escalating national minimum wage, and
> fixed overheads. We have also had the introduction of single offer point
> for primary school entry which has dropped revenue by about £17k pa (and
> we were already only just above "break even"), and there will soon be a
> further requirement that all staff "in-ratio" be qualified level 3 or above.

Are we talking about nurseries here as in under 4's  as I work in an
after school club so it seems that area is different,  I do have the new
EYFS stuff printed to read through,
> Me - I still do this because I believe that we can have a positive
> influence on the lives of children and families (especially
> disadvantaged), and that is ultimately more important than money - but a
> living wage would be nice!
I also agree with the point that it isn't about the money, but when you
see jobs advertised with that level of responsibility and paying barely
a decent wage, then see people moaning about the quality of applicants
it just frustrates me.

> As the final salt in the wound, central government is currently
> undertaking a consultation on how the cost of childcare can be reduced
> still further. This may result in the ratios being relaxed in order that
> even less money can be spent, which is hardly going to make the quality
> for children better, and may result in safeguarding issues.

Well safeguarding is hardly a strong point in a lot of areas,  and it
seems that the issue is just the same with adult care,  low wages,  low
moral, poor training and lack of retention all adds up.

> Phil

I work in an after school club, and earn more than this (unqualified)
and am trying toget a level 2 and this is proving a nightmare given my
tutor is sub standard.   Hopefully she will be able to assess me at some
point in the new term and I can claim a level 2 award and then find a
decent provider.  However that provider may have to PROVE they are of
sufficient quality and no just because a provider has outstanding
ofsted, does not mean they are capable of providing decent training.

The whole system to me is a shambles and the people who lose out are the
children,  When i was undertaking a teaching assistant course with the
OU it covered people who help children and how keep changing these key
workers has a NEGATIVE effect on children,  they get used to someone and
then that person leaves.

Paul

http://drupal.zleap.net
skype : psutton111