Re: [LUG] ICT Officer (Technical)

On 30/08/12 11:32, paul sutton wrote:
> On 30/08/12 11:14, Gordon Henderson wrote:
>> On Thu, 30 Aug 2012, paul sutton wrote:
>>
>>> ICT post with Dartmoor National park authority,   may be of interest
>>>
>>> http://www.devonjobs.gov.uk/it-dartmoor-national-park-authority-ict-officer-technical/35682.job
>>>
>> Ye gods. Look at the salary:  £16,440 - £19,621
>>
>> For a technical post; Screw that!
>>
>> Gordon
>>

> Yeah,  but low salaries due to illiterate employers are common in the
> south west,
>
> I saw a post the other day expecting level 2 childcare learning and
> development and AGAIN paying just above the minimum wage,   And
> employers wonder why they can't get staff with the right skills.
>

> Paul

OK - as someone who works in EY childcare I can answer that - totally
off topic!

Government specifies that councils must provide 15 hours per week of
free childcare for every child over 38 weeks.

Government also specifies the amount of money councils spend on
childcare. In the case of DCC, the council pay £3.62 per hour per child
for parents' free entitlement. This has been frozen for 3 years.

Government also specifies the ratios (Statutory Framework for Early
Years Foundation Stage) of staff to children (currently 1:8 for 3 year
olds and 1:4 for 2 year olds). The welfare requirements really mean that
you need a minimum of 4 staff even with about 15 to 24 children in a
"session" otherwise the quality of provision suffers dramatically. These
requirements are enforced by Ofsted.

In terms of pay, the industry standard in Devon is to pay level 2 Early
Years / Childcare or unqualified at national minimum wage only and level
3 at around £6.90 / hour. As a PhD qualified senior manager I can afford
to pay myself 99p above national minimum wage!!!

At those rates we just about survive using fund-raising to top up our
income. I think anyone offering anything above national minimum wage for
level 2 is actually being quite generous. Most of the commercial
nurseries only employ apprentices as the lower paid staff (for whom the
national minimum wage is only £2.60/hour) and then sack them when they
qualify - but then they need to turn a profit, which as a charity we don't.

In addition when we have SEN children, or children with a Protection
Plan/Order, we have to swallow a significant amount of extra work for
which there is little or no funding. As a result, most of the managers
end up working about double the hours they are paid for. So, my
effective hourly rate is probably about £4/hour. We also often have to
employ 1:1 SEN workers for whom we get 33% of the cost.

And - ultimately - yes, you are absolutely right, it is an appalling
wage; but the blame lies with Government, and DCC who are attempting to
meet the statutory sufficiency of places at minimum cost. All this to
meet government targets to get more parents into work and reduce the
bill for Working Tax Credit.

It is not the fault of the employers, who are squeezed between fixed
income, fixed staffing numbers, escalating national minimum wage, and
fixed overheads. We have also had the introduction of single offer point
for primary school entry which has dropped revenue by about £17k pa (and
we were already only just above "break even"), and there will soon be a
further requirement that all staff "in-ratio" be qualified level 3 or above.

Me - I still do this because I believe that we can have a positive
influence on the lives of children and families (especially
disadvantaged), and that is ultimately more important than money - but a
living wage would be nice!

As the final salt in the wound, central government is currently
undertaking a consultation on how the cost of childcare can be reduced
still further. This may result in the ratios being relaxed in order that
even less money can be spent, which is hardly going to make the quality
for children better, and may result in safeguarding issues.

Phil