Re: [LUG] Oh no, not ISP recommendations again!

On Sun, 12 Aug 2012, Brad Rogers wrote:

Hello All,

I need a new ISP, so need recommendations (oh no! not again!).  There's
nothing wrong with UKFSN, my current provider, per se, it's EntaNet that
are the problem.  They appear to be completely unable to resolve issues
with their data logging.  So, any recommendation can't be an EntaNet
reseller.

I'm an Entanet reseller but I'd not be pushing it, even trying to persuade you otherwise as they've personally pissed me off quite a bit recently, and if they can't treat their resellers with a bit more care than an ordinary punter then screw them.

I can't get Virgin, even if I wanted to, as we're too far off the beaten
track to get cable.  I won't use BT or Sky (my political choice), so need
somebody else. I don't mind paying over the odds, as it were, for the
service.  Usage will be around 30-40Gig per month.  Supporting local
business is preferred, if possible.  I live in North Devon, so a company
in the South West would be nice.

Let battle commence.   :-)

There aren't any companies in the SW, so you might as well forget that tact...

OK. There are... "Eclipse" looks like it's SW, and it was once upon a time but is now owned by Kingston.

The best of the best of the best is AAISP, but for your data usage, expect to pay some £70 a month or more.

Other than that... Unless your exchange is unbundled, then your choice is limited to a BT Wholesale reseller - there's over 100 of them, some better than others. Zen is near the top of that list, but again with the neiche providers, you'll pay a little more. (No IPv6 on Zen yet IIRC)

Goscombe might be one to look at - they're mainly aiming at businesses, but have home packages too - and if you have Be LLU in the exchange then they can use the Be wholesale network instead of the BT one.

http://www.goscomb.net/connectivity/broadband/consumer

Good luck with whoever you choose though - I really don't know who I'm going to go with next - I'm tempted to use AAISP even though it's going to cost me double what I'm paying Entanet, but for the service and total peace of mind it might just be worth it.

Gordon