Re: [LUG] Shortcut

On Jul 23, 2012 11:48 AM, "Neil Winchurst" <barnaby@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Never thought about this before, but no harm in asking....
>
> My daughter's new laptop is running Xubuntu, so that uses Xfce. She
> needs to turn the touchpad on/off sometimes. (She has a mouse too.)
>
> The way I have found is to go Menu --> Settings --> Settings Manager
> then click on Mouse and Touchpad icon. This defaults to the mouse
> settings, so then click on the drop down arrow to select the touchpad
> page. Then finally there is a setting to Enable this device with a tick
> box alongside it. Click in this box to reverse the current situation.
>
> Simple enough but rather long-winded. So my question is, can I create a
> file to do all this for her? If so I could put an icon on the desktop to
> run the file which would be much simpler and quicker.
>
> Thanks for any help
>
> Neil

I find,a while ago, a GNOME2 panel applet that let you turn off touchpad input. You'd move your pointer into it, click and that'd be it... until you click again (but it wouldn't accept a radio as click even if you had tap-to-click enabled).

You could also check to see if the laptop has a 'disable touchpad' function button. It's Fn+F6 on my laptop. Useful if you've got an external mouse plugged in as well.

Grant