Re: [LUG] monitors for coding

On 21 Jun, 2012, at 9:54 am, tom wrote:

I'm toying with seriously up-sizing my monitor (to 24/28 or even more) but my primary (exc)use is for coding. Does anyone do that sort of thing and have any recommendations cos everyone thinks monitors is for watching video these days...

I've been using a two-headed setup forever. A lot of hassle to set up with an IDE and a conventional WM/DE, but well worth it once you've got everything pinned where you want it; a piece of cake to set up with emacs and ratpoison. The one I've stuck with longest is laptop (changing over the years, but always a max screen size model) to the right, swivelling Dell 2407 (24") *in portrait mode* to the left. The extra vertical space is far more often useful than width when coding, and at 1200 x 1920 it's still wide enough for side-by-side diffs. It's also turned out to be useful for displaying burn-down charts and other Agile artifacts. The swivel comes in useful for movies.

--
Phil Hudson                  http://hudson-it.no-ip.biz
@UWascalWabbit                 PGP/GnuPG ID: 0x887DCA63