Re: [LUG] Java on Pi

On 15/06/12 12:25, Gordon Henderson wrote:
On Fri, 15 Jun 2012, tom wrote:

On intel and amd you can just:
cat /proc/cpuinfo
and more or less paste the flags into a make file and away you go.
I'm surprised arm doesn’t do that.

Flags?

gordon @ pi0: fgrep -i flags /proc/cpuinfo
gordon @ pi0:

The full cpuinfo is:

gordon @ pi0: cat /proc/cpuinfo
Processor       : ARMv6-compatible processor rev 7 (v6l)
BogoMIPS        : 898.66
Features        : swp half thumb fastmult vfp edsp java tls
CPU implementer : 0x41
CPU architecture: 7
CPU variant     : 0x0
CPU part        : 0xb76
CPU revision    : 7

Hardware        : BCM2708
Revision        : 0002
Serial          : 00000000c6a516f6

Yes, that's a serial number and it's different for every chip. It's used
to initialise the Ethernet MAC...

eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr b8:27:eb:a5:16:f6

The cpuinfo won't tell you if the underlying OS is compiled for armel or armhf, however th 'vfp' Feature is the floating point unit present. I don't have access to any other ARM processor to compare.

Gordon

Maybe I'm being naive but when compiling/linking to get the best out of an app (or an OS for that matter) the flags (in my experience ) features from the above are used to guide the build. I'm surprised that a debian build specifically for the Pi doesnt take this into account from the start. And presumably the same can be done for the java for it.
Tom te tom te tom