Re: [LUG] Java on Pi

On 14/06/12 14:07, Gordon Henderson wrote:
On Thu, 14 Jun 2012, Peter Lloyd-Jones wrote:

Hi

OK. I must have done something wrong (no not me!).  I sorted it out by
apt-get update followed by an new install of openjdk-6-jre.

I now have java (jre) running, thanks.

Do we want to use this list to chase Pi problems. I think if people know we ( well you) are here a lot could come seeking help on Linux and Debian
in particular.  I have dusted down my Debian GNU/Linux 3.1 Bible for
starters!

Now to sort out root, sometimes it appears I am root (as pi) others not. I
am normally a Ubuntu user where the difference is not so obvious.  If I
recall a normal Debian install one is asked to create both a user account,
and then to provide a pass word for both it and root.

One of the issues you're up against is that the Debian install is not a "clean" install - it's what someone was using when they decided to package it up to the SD card, and is somewhat "sub-optimal". However it's good enough to get you going...

So the password and group (and shadow) files are somewhat creative... Best to run pwck and grpck on them and hand-delete some unused entries...

There is no root password, so sudo is used - until (if youre like me) you set a root password, add in a new user, delete the 'pi' user and stop using sudo..

I've put some stuff up here: https://projects.drogon.net/raspberry-pi/ there's a couple of pages about setup and removing a package or two, but I've not had time recently to update it.

Gordon

I found a Netinstall image for the Raspberry Pi, I think it was an unofficial version of Debian which they call Raspbian. I've only just installed it on my Pi and not really had much chance to play with it (the install was fairly slow so I left it going) but maybe it might be a good option rather than to use the current images. I'm sure you'd maybe be able to advise Gordon, I'm not an expert on Debian so I don't know if what they've done is good or bad.

Rob