Re: [LUG] OT: Spy malware infecting Iranian networks is engineering marvel to behold

Martijn Grooten wrote:
> On Wed, May 30, 2012 at 6:11 AM, Simon Waters wrote:
>>
>> Mostly it tells you that current anti-malware practice isn't terribly
>> good, in that it went undetected for so long.
>
> That's a good point and one I've seen people from within the
> anti-malware industry make, but it's not an entirely fair criticism:
> it only shows that if you've got enough resources you can defeat/evade
> security software.

I wasn't necessarily thinking of just the anti-malware software, but
processes and the like.

Several of the vulnerabilities mentioned should already be patched, or
rely on doubtful practices. I guess it is possible the major infections
were done via other zero day exploits, or possibly given the age of
infection they were zero day exploits when they were used.

But ultimately the malware has to get in, the data has to get back, and
certainly that later one can be a weakness if sites have good perimeter
security, or even just intrusion detection (so they send the secret
documents out, but at least they spot the unusual traffic and figured out
they were owned).