Re: [LUG] OT: Spy malware infecting Iranian networks is engineering marvel to behold

On Wed, May 30, 2012 at 12:23 PM, Simon Waters wrote:
> Several of the vulnerabilities mentioned should already be patched, or
> rely on doubtful practices. I guess it is possible the major infections
> were done via other zero day exploits, or possibly given the age of
> infection they were zero day exploits when they were used.

So far no zero day exploits have been found, but we don't know when
infections started. I also suspect Iran isn't the most anti-malware
protected country in the world. Sudan, which saw the third highest
number of infections, even less so.

> But ultimately the malware has to get in, the data has to get back, and
> certainly that later one can be a weakness if sites have good perimeter
> security, or even just intrusion detection (so they send the secret
> documents out, but at least they spot the unusual traffic and figured out
> they were owned).

True that. It may well be that what Flame does could have been easily
picked up by intrusion-detection software. My guess, however, would be
that they the developers use a lot of QA and make sure that what goes
out isn't easily detected.

Martijn.