Re: [LUG] Linux user group meeting

On 07/05/12 19:11, Alan Lumb wrote:
> Hi Paul,
>
> My problem started when running Ubuntu 11.10.  and has continued after installing
> 12.04. It is often difficult to be precise about when something first happens as
> may not show up till a prog is used. I used to play videos and download radio but
> can't now.
Did you upgrade in place, or perform a fresh install? Always check the
available resources under /var/log when things are going wrong, without
concrete information you're going to get nowhere.
> 11.10 Ubuntu used Banshee as default. Tracks saved to Banshee some time ago can
> still be played. As far as I can tell you cannot burn CDs from Banshee
Banshee has mercifully been deprecated as the default player in 12.04 as
it has mono dependencies. Rhythmbox also sucks. Save yourself a lot of
pain and use clementine instead:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:me-davidsansome/clementine && sudo apt-get
update && sudo apt-get install clementine

> I downloaded VLC Media Player.  I suspect this began the problem.  There being a
> conflict between multiple versions of Flash? The screen tells me it is not
> installed but when I check it is and up to date. First Iost video then, some time,
> later lost sound eg couldn't listen to the radio live.
I rather doubt that this is the problem at all (it definitely isn't).
You are obviously having other problems, most likely codec related. Do
you have all the relevant parts of the gstreamer framework installed?
ffmpeg? etc? For flash nuke all previous instances and reinstall from
scratch with:

sudo apt-get remove --purge flashplugin* && sudo apt-get install
flashplugin-installer

If you've updated in place, you will have a lot of potentially orphaned
and/or useless, duplicated or otherwise uneccessary crap lying around on
disk so hunt them out with these two commands:

dpkg --get-selections | grep deinstall
deborphan --guess-all

As long as you don't see anything listed you definitely want to keep,
actually perform removal/purge with these two commands:

deborphan --guess-all | xargs sudo apt-get -y remove
dpkg --get-selections | grep deinstall | cut -f1 | xargs sudo dpkg -P

> Now Rhythmbox is the default media player, with no choice appearing in the
> dialogue box.
You can always reinstall any other media players, including banshee or
clementine, via the usual methods of course. Rhythmbox is really a
rather poor default though.

> When I download some speech with musical intro RB plays three notes stops and
> closes down!
Could be one of countless different problems, read and then post your
logs if you can't make sense of them. Pulseaudio issue? Network
streaming issue? Who knows without more info...
> When I look at Additional Drivers- none are listed

You may not need any of course: what do "lspci -vvv" and "lshw" tell
you? Don't forget that almost any ubuntu machine won't suffer from
having the following by default:

sudo apt-get install linux-firmware* linux-headers-`uname -r` dkms

This will frequently automatically take care of some unusual hardware
cases for you (admittedly mostly network related, so unlikely to help
you in this specific instance).

> I live in Teignmouth
>
> Regards
> Alan

Come back with some more specific information, particularly anything
from your logs, and it shouldn't be hard to figure out what's wrong.

Regards,

Mat