Re: [LUG] Fwd: Ubuntu challenges OS status quo

Hi Gordon,

In 2003, Southampton City Council were
chucking out 'old' PCs.
I took one over, and it is my
pleasant duty to report that
nine years later, it's still
going strong.

That's the difference between corporate
write-downs and
enthusiastic amateurs.

Regards etc,
Ray.

May 2012, paul sutton wrote:

>> 2.  Raspberry PI (
stripped back PC) as gordon says the Raspberry PI is

just another Linux box,  what does a computer have that a
PC does not
>> have.  The raspberry PI is a computer on a
chip  so why striipped back
>> what does the Raspbery PI
lack that a PC has in terms of basic input - >
>> process -
> output  ok that is a very old model diagram but all

computers are essentially following that block model.  Or
have i mis
>> interpreted what he means by stripped back
PC.

>I think they mean older, slower memory and mess RAM
type PCs - however as
>I've heard from users of the latest
Ubuntu, such an older PC might not
>neccessarily be the
best thing to run it on!

>I guess it all depends on what
you really mean though - In corprat speak,
>an "old" PC is
3 years old - ancient is 3+ ... So you can run Ubuntu on
an
>old PC, but not an ancient one... The old ones being
essentially "written
>off" by most corporates after 3
years and slated for replacement anyway.

>The Raspberry
Pi is a motherboard with CPU, Memory, Graphics chip, USB
and
>Ethernet, and little all else. You need to add wires,
USB hubs, power,
>keyboard, mouse, storage, and monitor to
actually make it work as a PC.