Re: [LUG] Fwd: Ubuntu challenges OS status quo

On Thu, 3 May 2012, paul sutton wrote:

2.  Raspberry PI ( stripped back PC) as gordon says the Raspberry PI is
just another Linux box,  what does a computer have that a PC does not
have.  The raspberry PI is a computer on a chip  so why striipped back
what does the Raspbery PI lack that a PC has in terms of basic input - >
process - > output  ok that is a very old model diagram but all
computers are essentially following that block model.  Or have i mis
interpreted what he means by stripped back PC.

I think they mean older, slower memory and mess RAM type PCs - however as I've heard from users of the latest Ubuntu, such an older PC might not neccessarily be the best thing to run it on!

I guess it all depends on what you really mean though - In corprat speak, an "old" PC is 3 years old - ancient is 3+ ... So you can run Ubuntu on an old PC, but not an ancient one... The old ones being essentially "written off" by most corporates after 3 years and slated for replacement anyway.

The Raspberry Pi is a motherboard with CPU, Memory, Graphics chip, USB and Ethernet, and little all else. You need to add wires, USB hubs, power, keyboard, mouse, storage, and monitor to actually make it work as a PC.

Gordon