Re: [LUG] social media

On Sun, 29 Apr 2012 16:34:50 +0100
paul sutton <zleap@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hello paul,

> I merely suggested Linked in as this is aimed more at professionals as
> in this is why you can enter your cv and network with other people in
> the industry you are in or interested in.  It has nothing to do with

LinkedIn seems very good for that.  TBH, what I do is a bot lost on
there, but I've got a small presence (fnar, fnar) on there, nonetheless.

> Having endured endless invites to farmville, cityville and other
> nonsense,  invites to stuff I am simply not interested in (when i

I know how you feel.  For that reason, I have two FB accounts.  One for
the couple of games I play so as not to overload my real friends with
all the guff that can be generated.  The other account, my "real"
account, is used to keep in touch with people I actually know.

> created lug events on facebook I selected people i know are lug members
> to invite them)  most people just invite everyone in their friends

Indeed.  Worryingly, the same happens with people signing up to
LinkedIn.  You'd expect so-called professionals, to be a bit more
discerning about what they allow the site to do.  That is, not send out
invites willy-nilly to everyone and, more importantly, every *thing*
(i.e. mailing lists) in their address book.

> with rubbish.   I have more responses of a intelligent nature from
> google+ , linked in and the lug than I will ever get from facebook.

And I suspect it will ever be thus.  And that's no bad thing.

--
 Regards  _
Well well well, you just can't tell