Re: [LUG] Routers and Modems

On Sat, 14 Apr 2012 15:46:58 +0100
Martijn Grooten wrote:

> On Sat, Apr 14, 2012 at 3:40 PM, Neil Winchurst wrote:
> > Anyway, does this mean that I need both a modem and a router? And
> > if so, when I am looking for a new router must I make sure it
> > includes a modem? Up till now I had always assumed that it would.
>
> It'd be hard to find a router that does not include a modem but yes,
> they do exist and yes, you will need both so yes, it is best to make
> sure the router does include a modem.
>
> Martijn.

Typically, if the router in your hand says that it work with "Cable AND
ADSL" then you will need an extra modem - what it's saying is that it
routes Ethernet & WiFi connections to another Ethernet connection,
which you run to your Modem.

If the router in your hand says it's for ADSL and doesn't mention Cable
then chances are good that it's what you're looking for. Worth checking
the spec anyway and make sure that it's specifically supports the
various ADSL standards... if it doesn't mention them, then do not
assume it does support them.

Grant.