Re: [LUG] Telephone call re my computer

On 05/04/12 18:50, Jason Witcher wrote:
> On 5 April 2012 18:10, Martijn Grooten <sweetwatergeek@xxxxxxxxx
> <mailto:sweetwatergeek@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:
>
>     On Thu, Apr 5, 2012 at 5:53 PM, Keith Abraham wrote:
>     > Just a phone call from someone claiming to be Ebay customer service
>     > asking for Mrs Kate Abraham. Obviously a scam as, apart for
>     getting my
>     > name (and sex) incorrect, Ebay does not have my telephone number
>     (and as
>     > far as I know no one else's either).
>
>     Any idea what they were calling about?
>
>     eBay does store some people's phone numbers (it doesn't look like a
>     mandatory option and I haven't given them mine, but I could) so it
>     could have been eBay. There is always the chance that someone has
>     given them your contact details. Which would still be a scam, but one
>     of a different nature. And much more serious.
>
>     Martijn.
>
> Or a good old-fashioned wrong number?

As I hadn't give Ebay my number I guess it could have been a mix up
between someone called Kate Abraham and me Keith Abraham.

Having had so many of those scam telephone calls I automatically
presumed it was another one. After my reply "Nobody by that name here."
I received an apology and the caller hung up.

Keith