Re: [LUG] Unix mail queue length

On Sat, 31 Mar 2012, Philip Hudson wrote:

On 31 Mar, 2012, at 12:26 pm, Simon Waters wrote:

On 31/03/12 12:17, Philip Hudson wrote:
OK, I give up. How do you check whether the unix mail ('mail' or 'mailx'
or 'Mail') queue is empty from the command line? On *BSD/darwin it's
'mail -e', which gives you an exit status telling you whether there's
anything queued or not.

Depends what "mail" command you have.

My /usr/bin/mail uses the alternatives system to point to
/usr/bin/bsd-mailx from the Debian bsd-mailx package. So for me the
command is "mail -e".

If in doubt "man mail" will probably tell you on Debian, except it isn't
documented for bsd-mailx - I'll file a bug.

Thanks Simon. I've now installed 'heirloom-mailx' and all is sweetness and light.

Of-course in ye-olde days we'd have had 'from', 'finger', 'biff' and friends (or simply looked in /var/mail/username :) - and doing a quick search through debian, comsat has been bloated somewhat and boggle of boggleness, depends on SASL, MySQL, and who knows what else.

Oh for the simplicity of those days... For some stuff, at least.

Gordon