Re: [LUG] possible new members

On 29/03/12 18:08, paul sutton wrote:
> Sorry not a fan of Unity.  Saying that after having some issues with
> > Mint 12 I'm thinking of either going back to Mint 11 or maybe Debian,
> > or even Gentoo (if I have the patience to sit there and wait for it to
> > compile, unless there is a live version I can install and compile
> > later on when I have free time).

You might want to have a look at Sabayon then, which is Gentoo-based and
has several flavours including live media to try out:

http://www.sabayon.org/

If you do go the traditional Gentoo route, you can massively increase
compile efficiency by replacing the traditional emerge method with a RAM
based filesystem and forcing portage to work from it instead. I use an
8Gb ramfs and can completely rebuild the system in a few hours instead
of the usual few days. There are plenty of tips on google, or I can send
you my customised script if you prefer.

You may well want to have a look at Arch Linux - personally, I loathe it
but I'm in a minority it seems. Many of the Gentoo diehards seem to have
migrated to it recently.

Of course, Debian is the One True Way™...

Cheers,

Mat