Re: [LUG] Jiffies and the perils of not properly solving a problem properly

On Mon, 26 Mar 2012, Simon Waters wrote:

On 26/03/12 20:48, Gordon Henderson wrote:

Isn't it a safety feature - if CONFIG_NO_HZ is set then doesn't jiffies
eventually stop?

Who knows? How would you find out?

Really don't know - I rememberd something from the last time, but google isn't showing up much.

Hm. few years old:

http://fixunix.com/kernel/329248-setting-jiffies-clocksource-stops-time.html

the only system I have that seems to have jiffies avalable is an ARM kernel inside QEMU:

pi@raspberrypi:~$ cat
/sys/devices/system/clocksource/clocksource0/current_clocksource
timer3
pi@raspberrypi:~$ cat
/sys/devices/system/clocksource/clocksource0/available_clocksource
timer3 jiffies

I can change it:

root@raspberrypi:/home/pi# cat
/sys/devices/system/clocksource/clocksource0/current_clocksource
jiffies

and it still seems to run, but maybe that's just QEMU!

Gordon