Re: [LUG] Jiffies and the perils of not properly solving a problem properly

On Mon, 26 Mar 2012, Simon Waters wrote:

On 26/03/12 20:14, Simon Waters wrote:

Does this mean that to have a clocksource of jiffies available in the
guest I have to have access to the dom0 configuration?

Okay I see to have a clocksource of "jiffies" you have to add the
"clocksource=jiffies" as an argument to the kernel (e.g. via
/etc/default/grub these days).

It isn't present in available_clocksource until this argument is added,
when it is both the current clocksource and added to the list.

It may seem trivial but it isn't explained anywhere, and the other clock
sources are listed even if they aren't in use.

The documentation says it specifies the default clocksource, not that it
magics up clock sources.

I have wasted so much time for want of this being explained in the
documentation.

Isn't it a safety feature - if CONFIG_NO_HZ is set then doesn't jiffies eventually stop?

Gordon