Re: [LUG] Mobile phone data recovery

On 21/03/12 00:03, Grant Phillips-Sewell wrote:
On Tue, 20 Mar 2012 23:45:49 +0000
Julian Hall wrote:

   On 20/03/2012 16:51, Gordon Henderson wrote:
On Tue, 20 Mar 2012, Neil Winchurst wrote:

Can anyone on the list suggest any way to recover all this please?
The data are not encrypted, and not corrupted in any way as far as
we know. Possibly the fall did some damage, but we have no way of
knowing.
It would be easy to say something like "that'll teach her for not
having a backup", however having been in a similar situation with a
family member, it's hard...

So... I'd see if the phone powers up - and plug in a USB cable
(assuming USB) and see if the host detects it. That'll likely get
you the photos, but not the phone numbers - you might need Nokia
data suite for that (on a Win PC)

Failing that, is the internal memory card (micro-sd?) removable?
Some are - take the battery out and see what you can see.

Although 6 years old... They'll be 1.3MP images of dubious
quality...

But start googling for results - you can probably get  new screen
for it and DIY the replacement...

Gordon

Assuming the phone powers up and can be connected by USB I found this:

http://tareqalam.wordpress.com/2008/07/11/connect-your-nokia-phone-with-linux-without-pc-suite/

According to this it is possible to read a Nokia phone's content in
Linux - actually I do recall a discussion on this list a few years
ago on this very subject.  It may be in the list archive if it goes
back that far.

Julian
That may well have been me. I used to have an oldschool Nokia. Was good
fun!

Grant.

This seems to be the way to use the phone as a tether but how do you get to the contents - like photos etc? I have one I can connect to and get all the phone details - calls, contacts appointments etc but not the photos.
Does the phone software work with wine?
Tom te tom te tom