Re: [LUG] brother printer

On 15/03/12 21:15, Simon Waters wrote:
On 15/03/12 17:16, paul sutton wrote:
It needs the following package

brlpdwrappermfcj615w
That is the cupsFilter entry in the PPD and is created by a script in
the cupswrapper deb for this printer on the Brother website.

In particular see:

https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/cups/+question/145783

The Deb file mentioned:

http://www.brother.com/pub/bsc/linux/dlf/mfcj615wcupswrapper-1.1.1-1.i386.deb

Contains a "cupswrappermfcj615w" script which creates this file from the
CUPS wrapper and a here document (by inspection of the script).

My guess is perhaps something is going wrong in the process, preventing
it being created, quite possibly a version thing as Brother are in the
"force" the dpkg install and hope school of thought, which is
understandable but not necessarily too clever.

Try following the comment at the end of the answers page, maybe using
"script" to record the steps so we can look at it afterwards and say
wise things like "don't start from here" :)

Also unclear what platform you are installing to, and what you've tried.

 Simon

I am using ubuntu 11.10

I have used dpkg to extract the files,  and struggle doing this due to the need to be a ) root and also run as csh,

Problem is I don't understand what I am doing,  have even more problems explaining things,  and even more issues copying / pasteing output somewhere I am not an advanced user which is clearly the assumption of brother.

I had a lot of problems with broken packages,  packages not installing properly ahd had to edit the dpkg status file and delete the entry to make things like dpkg work properly as it screwed the whole thing up.  this is fixed but still can't print.

If I go to printers in ubuntu, and then add printer I can follow the prompts until it wants a ppd file, point it in the direction of a ppd file and end the wizard,  I guess I need to figure out what is going on,

Drivers for new Brother printers are still missing. They need to be packaged (probably in a -extra1 package) from the sources in Brother website : http://solutions.brother.com/linux/en_us/

yeah my old printer dcp310cn worked as the drivers were included in ubuntu,  the printer is broken so i have a new printer.

will try the mentioned script again see what happens.

paul

http://www.zleap.net
http://www.ubuntu.com

skype : psutton111