Re: [LUG] Webcam choice

On Sun, 2012-03-04 at 08:32 +0000, Simon Robert -Cottage wrote:

> try this one. It says specifically that it is linux friendly. I have one
> and it does work. But I'm pretty sure that most of them do "just work"
> and no drivers are needed.
>
> http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kinobo-Megapixel-Webcam-Ubuntu-Desktop/dp/B002UAV8LS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1330849438&sr=8-1
>
> Built in mic and various colour settings just in case you feel the need
> to broadcast yourself in inverted colour or b&w.
>
> Skype and the various webcam apps, cheese and kamoso certainly see it.
> Though pidgen can't, but I think this is pidgens problem.

Got this webcam a couple of days ago after finding my PS3 Eye had
stopped working in Ubuntu due to removal of something, after trying to
fix it a few times I decided it was easier to buy a new one (and
promptly fixed the PS3 Eye a couple of hours later)

Anyway, very impressed by it indeed. It seems to cope with low light a
lot better than the Eye and gives a better image. Its only 640x480 but I
much prefer a lower res and better fps anyway :)

The mic has a good sound, it picks up a whisper without any problems at
monitor distance even.  There is a screw fixing underneath to pop it on
a tripod as well as the monitor clamp thingie.

For a tenner, I'm quite impressed.
--
John
http://subbass.blogspot.com/