Re: [LUG] Webcam choice

On 04/03/12 08:32, Simon Robert -Cottage wrote:
On 26/02/12 14:51, Tony Sumner wrote:
On Feb 26, 2012, Neil Winchurst wrote:

Trouble is there are so many webcams around, so I am asking for some
recommendations and/or warnings. If any members have some experience of
using a webcam on Linux I would be grateful for any help.
This could be helpful:

   http://www.dcglug.org.uk/archive/2007/05/msg00003.html

(when you come to look for a driver)

Tony

try this one. It says specifically that it is linux friendly. I have one and it does work. But I'm pretty sure that most of them do "just work" and no drivers are needed.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kinobo-Megapixel-Webcam-Ubuntu-Desktop/dp/B002UAV8LS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1330849438&sr=8-1

Built in mic and various colour settings just in case you feel the need to broadcast yourself in inverted colour or b&w.

Skype and the various webcam apps, cheese and kamoso certainly see it. Though pidgen can't, but I think this is pidgens problem.

Simon

As I'm coming late to this topic my apologies if this has already been pointed out.

I've found that uvc compliant compliant webcams have a very good chance of working with linux OS's:

  http://www.ideasonboard.org/uvc/

Keith