Re: [LUG] Skype and/or Ekiga

On 06/03/12 21:41, paul sutton wrote:
On 06/03/12 12:43, Neil Winchurst wrote:
Well, thanks to a lot of help from the list, I seem to have my webcam
and Skype up and working. That is to say that I can see a picture of
myself when I try options -->  Video devices and click on the test
button. Also I hear myself when I run the test call.

However I must find someone on Skype to make a final test.

Meanwhile, I know that Skype is now owned by Microsoft, so heaven knows
where we go from here. That being so, I am wondering what members feel
about other packages, especially Ekiga. Is it worth downloading it and
trying it out or not? How do Skype and Ekiga compare?

Thanks for any help,

Neil

add me if you want psutton111 :)

Paul

Ahh while I think about it too, I can also recommend Google+, as they have a 'hangout' feature where I understand up to 4 people can chat on a webcam and they have a Linux plugin available (sadly Facebook video chat doesn't support Linux despite using Skype on the backend).

Rob