Re: [LUG] Logitech C310 - no sound

On 03/03/12 19:51, Neil Winchurst wrote:
On 03/03/12 19:25, Gordon Henderson wrote:
Well. I have installed Skype and the video seems fine, but still no
sound. There must be something wrong with my sound set up somewhere. I
cannot pick up any sound via the webcam in guvcview, cheese or Skype.
They can't all be wrong so it must be the set up somewhere.

Using alsamixer I try F6 to see a list of the sound cards. One of them
is 'USB Device' which I assume is the webcam. When I choose that I get
the message 'This sound device does not have any playback controls'. Is
this relevant?
Who knows... I don't have alsamizer on my laptop (the one with the
built-in webcam) lsusb just shows the webcam, so I guess the audio
hardware isn't on my USB.

My wifes PC just shows the webcam too:

Bus 001 Device 004: ID 046d:0825 Logitech, Inc. Webcam C270

Mine show similarly, except it doesn't say 'Webcam C310'.

but it has a built-in microphone which we know works...

What does Skype give in the pull-down list of microphones?
I don't know how to get that list.

And no, I don't have Windows anywhere. However I do have a laptop
running Mint Xfce so perhaps I could try that to see if it is a KDE issue.

Thanks

Neil

AT the bottom left of the skype window there is blue 'S' with a down arrow on it - this is the main menu click on it and go to options (ctrl o) and then sound devices. Alternatively if there is a skype icon in the task bar right click on that to get the main menu
Tom