Re: [LUG] OT: ICT Teaching

On 21/02/12 16:51, Julian Hall wrote:
Hi All,

We've all seen the reports on the news and in papers about ICT teaching
in the UK being poor. I'm considering a PGCE and so I looked up the
entry requirements on the website for the university I would want to
study at. It makes interesting reading to say the least:

Drama 2:2
English 2:2
ICT 2:2
DT 3rd
PE 2:1
Music 2:2
Physics 3rd

To recruit more teachers, lower the requirements
Chemistry 3rd

Ditto above
Biology 2:2
Maths 2:2
AD 3rd
MFL 2:2
History 2:2
Welsh 3rd

It would appear certain subjects allow a lower grade of degree in order
to be able to teach them. Quite why that would be is a mystery, but ICT
only requires a 2:2, whereas PE is the only subject requiring a 2:1(!)
Why PE is singled out for this special treatment is anyone's guess - no
offence intended to any PE teachers on the list of course! I don't know
what some of the acronyms are (perhaps someone else does?) but it seems
nonsensical to me that there is not a basic requirement for all
teachers. Chemistry and Physics only require a 3rd! I would be very
interested to know if this standard is common across all universities or
just this particular one.

Kind regards,

Julian

It's to aid recruitment numbers - 'hard' subjects attract less applicants.

It seems that the accepted wisdom is that the 'easier' a subject is to qualify in, the harder it is to teach????

Don't Arks me, I just work with 'em.

Adam