Re: [LUG] Email Filtering Backups

On 05/02/12 02:18, Gibbs wrote:

> As expected the likes of Evolution and Thunderbird struggle with 5
> million + email, especially when it comes to making filters to get the
> correct email. I was wondering if anyone has a quick way to retrieve all
> email from a specific account that is reasonably efficient.

Define efficient. Is it Evolution or Thunderbird (actually at 5 million
in a folder it probably is).

Any simplistic manipulation of a maildir with 5,000,000 messages in
maildir will require 5 million file reads (if only the headers).

Some IMAP servers maintain indexes of some information, if the
information you want to search on is indexed by a common IMAP server
then this is probably the way to go for creating an index on the fly.

Otherwise there are Perl and Python libraries to manage maildir.

 Simon