Re: [LUG] USB disk

On 02/02/12 21:09:17, bad apple wrote:
>> What version of windows are you using?
>
> Server 2008 XP xp 64 Vista 7... take your pick...

Well, yes, but make your mind up and stick with it - windows fixes are bad enough as it is without the windows version being a moving target.

No my choice that is the platforms we have to work with... :-(

>> What partition table are you using on the USB drive (GUID/DOS/ etc)?
>

> Formated for fat32 and dos part table.

Good grief, don't make life more difficult for yourself than
absolutely
necessary: FAT32 was never a good filesystem and it certainly isn't
now.
Use NTFS for cross-platform compatibility.

Would be nice if we could, but these are portable and get used by one and all.

Excellent, it is good news that you've solved it. The reason you are
getting this error is because the volume support tools in windows
frequently don't 'like' partitions or volume sets defined under other
operating systems, even if they should be completely valid. The usual
symptom of this is exactly what you found: in the disk management MMC
the volume is listed but has not been assigned a drive letter.
Manually
assigning a letter (you can force this temporary assignation to be
permanent if required, like setting one external drive as Z:, another
as
Y:, etc) fixes this odd little glitch.

Yes, stupid windows that is a load of old cack.
That's what I said to the people who use this stuff, but then there is no decent animation software for Linux... yet...