Re: [LUG] USB disk

On 02/02/12 18:46, stinga@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> On 02/02/12 16:39:46, bad apple wrote:
>> What does "dmesg | grep sd" say?
>
> Linux is not the problem it sees it just fine

Well, yes, but I wanted the information for diagnostics. You've fixed it
now so it's not a problem anyway luckily.

>> What version of windows are you using?
>
> Server 2008 XP xp 64 Vista 7... take your pick...

Well, yes, but make your mind up and stick with it - windows fixes are
bad enough as it is without the windows version being a moving target.

>> Does the USB device require drivers under windows (not all of them
>> are mass-storage accessible by default).
>
> Drivers not needed

Ok, so USB mass-storage compatible, good.

>> What partition table are you using on the USB drive (GUID/DOS/etc)?
>

> Formated for fat32 and dos part table.

Good grief, don't make life more difficult for yourself than absolutely
necessary: FAT32 was never a good filesystem and it certainly isn't now.
Use NTFS for cross-platform compatibility.

> Looks like I might have solved it, I have it a driver letter and made
> it active, all 5 of them seem to work now.
>
> Who knows why those 5 of 20 decided to not bother with a driver letter.

Excellent, it is good news that you've solved it. The reason you are
getting this error is because the volume support tools in windows
frequently don't 'like' partitions or volume sets defined under other
operating systems, even if they should be completely valid. The usual
symptom of this is exactly what you found: in the disk management MMC
the volume is listed but has not been assigned a drive letter. Manually
assigning a letter (you can force this temporary assignation to be
permanent if required, like setting one external drive as Z:, another as
Y:, etc) fixes this odd little glitch.

Annoyingly this happens all the time - I'm working on a customer's
MacPro at the moment and fitted it with a new 2Tb disk today. The volume
was created with a DOS partition table and formatted to NTFS under Mac's
disk utility with no problem: however, on reboot to windows I
immediately ran into exactly the same problem as you: no drive letter
assigned, and until I did it manually, windows refused to display or
recognise the new partition. A few clicks later in disk management and
the disk is now magically available. I get the same result sometimes
with gparted on linux modified disks going into windows machines and I'm
at a total loss to explain why this happens. Good old windows eh?

Glad you fixed it anyway,

Mat