Re: [LUG] torbay computer group

On 26/01/12 19:11, Rob Beard wrote:
> On 26/01/12 15:31, paul sutton wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> I have been in discussion with Parkfield which is a local youth centre
>> in Paignton.
>>
>> I asked about creating a group for young people (11+) interested in
>> learning programming and software development,  with the view of
>> bringing people together and having a peer orientated view of learning
>> as in we help each other etc., using free tools and free resources to
>> learn.
>>

> Sounds good.
>
>> This idea now nicely ties in with the government wanting more kids to
>> get in to programming,  the release of raspberry PI is designed to help.
>> Back in the 80's people were self motivated and had access to tools.  so
>> why not embrace this new approach to ICT and help give people access to
>> the tools the can learn programming on (and at the same time promote
>> there is more than Just Microsoft tools out there).  Those who are self
>> motivated may appreciate finding other people with similar interests.
>> In a similar way to new Linux users finding their local lug.
>>

> Well the initial run of the Raspberry Pi is going to be one per order
> from what I understand as they're only making 10,000 in the first
> batch.  But I guess longer term then it might be possible.

We would probably have to get the education version as this has a case
with it,
>> There are plenty of languages out there from tools for the real beginner
>> (scratch, kidsruby) to several websites that teach programming.
>> Languages such as python, perl and perhaps c, c++ for those who are
>> perhaps want to go further. The tools exist as free downloads.
>>

> Which is good, but do any of us have any good knowledge of this stuff?
> It's all well and good getting support online but sometimes it's a
> case of sending an e-mail to a mailing list and waiting for a reply.

Well what is going to happen first is once some paperwork is done my
end,  then youth services will advertise the group to schools and set up
an initial meeting,  depending on who turns up to that the group will go
forward.

the idea is as they have a suite of macs (sorry) then install scratch,
kidsruby,  etc,  so it should be easy enough to start people who have
never used scratch with that,  there are resources on the scratch
website,  and I have downloaded and printed some out.  there should be
similar resources for kidsruby, plus a few websites that help teach
programming such as code academy

http://www.codecademy.com/

should get us started,  and hopefully inspire the young people to have a
go at home, or at least give them more confidence, those already
programming can perhaps do their own stuff but help each other when
there are the usual typos that cause errors, another pair of eyes really
helps spot these despite your best efforts. :)

As I said one thing we can try and actually teach is how to look for
information,  that way people think and look rather than just ask,

I would hope that this group would be the sort that are self motivated
and perhaps already doing some programming or are willing to have a go,
if presented to the right tools, I am not sure if all schools use
scratch for example a lot do,  a suspect some don't so it is a good way
to introduce this to a wider audience.

>> Using free tools means that everyone has access to them and there are no
>> restrictions on what can be done with the code produced (I am sure MS
>> visual development suites for students have some sort of usage
>> restrictions on the end code,).
>>

> AFAIK Microsoft don't have any restrictions on Visual Studio etc and I
> gather they do a free starter edition which isn't bad.  You can even
> develop XBOX stuff using it (although I understand to get it published
> you have to get a developer account costing about £100 a year, which
> is still cheaper than a full blown developer kit).

Ok i wasn't sure if there were some restrictions within the license,
like there is with MS office student edition not being able to use it
for business use, (how many take notice of that is another matter of
course).

>> A few questions to the LUG,
>>
>> 1.  If anyone (torbay or area) has kids Would they be interested in this
>> sort of group? If they are I will post details later on when i have
>> worked with them to set things up etc.
>>

> Yes, depending when it is.  Now I'm living on my own my time is
> limited.  I've also got to get my kids interested, I'm hoping to work
> on this by introducing them to Basic programming of some sort.
well this group is aimed precisely at this group, plujs if any of the
young people have more experience then their input will be welcome,  i
guess people will be at different levels,  if we encourage peer support
then it helps build communication, team work skills.

>> 2. Parkfield has some potential for lug meets,  is open every day of the
>> week, so there is a chance we can get in there as LUG and do proper
>> talks etc,  and perhaps involve this programming group as in invite them
>> along.
>
> Sounds good, where is it though?

Paignton seafront, will post details later on.

>> Perhaps going on previous talks,  we could have another talk on VOIP
>> from Gordon but done in more suitable environment for doing talks ?
>>

> Would it be a technical talk or more of a general one?  I must admit I
> do enjoy listening to Gordon talking about stuff, sounds really
> interesting even if I don't understand some of it too much.
>
>> With the launch of IPv6,  could someone do a few related talks,?
>> (perhaps start with a talk on what TCP / IP is, what IPv4 is,  and lead
>> on to why we need IPv6 and explain about IPv6. (even some of us lug
>> members may appreciate this)
>>

> I'd like to know more about IPv6, I know little bits about it but a
> lot of it is still confusing for me.
I will ask, and suggest that this can form part of the group, see if the
lug can actually meet there and if they can involve people who are
interested,  parkfield caters for young people 11 - 18 I think,  however
the group i am starting will be year 6 (10/11) upwards.

so the talk would be aimed at younger audience, which is why i suggested
we cover basic ipv4 stuff first then lead on to ipv6.   depending on how
many are interested if its a small group you could always give people
stickers with ip addresses on and make the talk more interactive.

>> Talks on tech related subjects would then nicely tie in with this group,
>>

> Yep probably would.
>
>> NB: I would need to ask if we can do any of the above, in this way,  if
>> we can it would be a good way to involve outside groups. If not we could
>> have a potential talk venue.
>>

> Depends what sort of groups you're aiming it?  Technical?
> Non-technical?  Consumers?  Business?

Well young programmers,  I am sure with talks on tcp/ip it may help them
make any programs they write network aware,  or something,

> I must admit from the interest I've seen on the Raspberry Pi on the
> forums we could end up with more members of the LUG.

Yeah,   well i would hope to signpost people to OSS projects if they ask
about it,
>> Ultimately     if we can get people programming and find ways of
>> supporting young developers and create ties with other group then the
>> group will have reached its aims.  SO if it is possible to allow the lug
>> (or members) to support this then (as described above) it could really
>> give the group a boost as we would have contacts which may give this
>> group some real advantage.
>>

> Just another thought about programming, maybe also look into Android
> development too since the tools are free.

Yeah i did put that on my flyer i am designing,  as the kit is available
for mac, linux and windows.

>> I will post more updates as things happen.
>>

> Good stuff :-)

> Rob

Thanks, and thank you to the lug for the positive responses,  hopefully
this group will work,

http://www.zleap.net
http://www.ubuntu.com

skype : psutton111