Re: [LUG] Error #2046 playing flash video in Adobe Flash Player 11.1

On 24/01/12 16:31, Simon Waters wrote:
> Oops - one I wrote yesterday and sent from the wrong address...
>
> I've been looking at this minor annoyance with Flash player on my desktop
> (Debian testing, but it started when I had Squeeze).
>
> Problem is some (a very few) videos result in Adobe error 2046 (which is
> an RSL signing issue). Trailers on lovefilm.com (don't mention their
> switch to Silverlight people will get side tracked) trigger this issue.
>
> So far established.
>
> 1) It affects only my user (srw).
> 2) It affects only my preferred browser (iceweasel)
> 3) It affects trailers on lovefilm.com
>
> Other users, or me using other browsers (Chrome) are fine.
>
> It isn't simply due to stuff cache in .adobe or .macromedia, as closing
> browser, removing those, starting browser causes same error.
>
> It isn't simply the profile I'm using, as a new profile has the same error.
>
> It isn't any plugins or extensions I'm using.
>
> It isn't affected by any of the obvious exposed controls for Iceweasel
> (i.e. not blocking pop-up, or any security settings).
>
> It isn't affected by any of the Flash Global settings (where/how are those
> stored?).
>
> So clearly some state information is persisting. Next I plan to create a
> new profile and erase .adobe and .macromedia at the same time to eliminate
> some sort of caching of information from my old profile into these folders
> - since that seems possible but unlikely.
>
> I've run "strace -f -e trace=open" and I'm bewildered as to where or how
> the state information necessary for this one to persist is coming from. I
> was wondering if it is perhaps some sort of certificate list change I've
> made at some point, but not sure how this would persist in a new Iceweasel
> profile.
>
> It really doesn't matter in the big scheme of things, but now it has
> become a challenge to fix(understand?) it. So any clues appreciates. I
> think I've exhausted Google for the other people with RSL signing errors,
> seems the error is anything that stops the checking of signatures
> completing. I figure someone here has probably been on the other end of
> signing Adobe controls and knows a bit more about how the process is
> suppose to work.
>
>  Simon
>
> PS: Having transplanted a Firefox to my new work PC yesterday I guess it
> is time to backup ".mozilla/firefox" and try a completely clean set of
> profiles, and if that works then break it by adding back the relevant
> files in chunks (one by one will probably do, not enough for a binary
> search).

What version of flash are you using? If you're using the standard one
from the repos, it may well be worth trying the latest beta direct from
Adobe. Also, 64 or 32 bit?

Rather than messing about with your own profile(s) temporarily create a
new user account and experiment from there instead.

Might also be worth trying a newer version of iceweasel - presumably
from http://mozilla.debian.net/ - or building a nightly from source. You
seem pretty sure it's Adobe at fault and you're probably right but it's
worth checking to eliminate false positives.

Lastly, is "flash-player-properties" what you're looking for?

Cheers,

Mat