Re: [LUG] how do install debian 6

On 19/01/12 22:29, bad apple wrote:
> On 19/01/12 22:08, paul sutton wrote:
>> I was under the impression they were selling pre-installed systems or sd
>> cards, well due to teh price its worth having one to use with the
>> pre-installed stuff and another one for experimenting with new
>> distributions etc. I think the pre-installed software will be very
>> developer orientated,

>> why, ? many primary schools have an IT co-ordinator, who thanks to the
>> way schools do IT ends  up calling tech support because people like RM
>> lock down the system and or they are NOT allowed to change things but
>> the most basic settings.
>>
>>     A lot of schools don't have a dedicated IT technician either,  if
>> you look on the forum there is one school that has some older computers,
>> that hardly work properly teachers DO NOT Have time to fix stuff,  I
>> think schools are really struggling and budget cuts are not going to
>> help either.
>>
>>     Schools could install Linux but then could still think that each PC
>> capable of running windows MUST have a license,  so that rules out
>> buying new hardware minus OS,  raspberry PI could be a way round this.
>> I am aware becta were trying to sort this out before they were
>> disbanded, but it is a crazy situation,  when schools are forced in to
>> Windows,  of course they use Windows and office in secondary so
>> secondaries put them under pressure to ensure the kids can use office,
>> rather than teaching the basics of word processing and developing
>> confidence to pick up any word processing package and type on that.
>>
>>     You still need staff to maintain it,  would have to re-write all
>> your schemes of work and lesson plans around running libreoffice for
>> example.
>>
>> In general the IT co-ordinator has to teach other subjects in primary
>> anyway.  In secondaries the teachers can simply teach IT, but still have
>> to contend with things breaking down,  5 mins before a lesson or having
>> to put up with the system taking so long to start up,  they can't
>> deliver the whole lesson they have planned.
>>
>>> I think that might describe maybe 50% of IT teachers out there these
>>> days.  From the people I've spoken to involved in schools, the IT
>>> teacher seems to be the one who knows how to use MS Office.  Luckily
>>> for some schools the IT Teachers are a bit more clued up.
>> Well they are teaching MS office,  unless schools have people who know
>> about alternatives.
>>
>> This is why I am not that convinced how well the new curriculum will
>> work,  a lot of kids who want to do programming are doing so already so
>> end up ahead of the game.   I can see kids who enjoy programming either
>> being dictated to on what they write, or getting fed up due to the tasks
>> given to them being too simple, (as you have to consider the whole class),
>>
>> Programming at that age used to be FUN which is why raspberry PI is
>> aiming to get kids back in to that mentality,   all schools will care
> [...]
Yeah,  I assume by what you said earlier prep an image this would say be
download an Iso from a website and boot this using a flash or cd device
and re-install.

 I would expect these things to come with some facility and or
instructions to do this.   Hey personally I hope teachers can't do this,
as it means I may get a offered a job :D  Having used Linux for quite a
while may start to work in my favour.

At least it shouldn't come with some stupid license that prevents you
from having a master image that can be used on any device, (look what
happened to currys making cds of windows etc)

You never know it may swing the balance,  if I was MS i would be rather
worried esp as at last we will see a system that shows the world does
NOT revolve around microsoft.

Paul

http://www.zleap.net
http://www.ubuntu.com