Re: [LUG] A slice of Pi gets closer...

On Mon, 16 Jan 2012, Rob Beard wrote:

I figured something like the 6502 would probably be well documented these days and I'm sure I can probably find a book on it. I want to learn something simple so I thought 8-Bits would be a good start :-)

The 6502 is so well documented that someone has done this:

  http://visual6502.org/JSSim/

Come back when you know the difference between Indexed Indirect and Indirect Indexed addressing :-)

You might want to look at AVR (Arduino) though - relatively cheap to get into with a "proper" :) assembler and C compiler. The AVR instruction set is quite nice and easy on the eyes too...

I have to say though - it's just too easy to jump to C... The C compilers for the 8-bit chips really are quite good - I did a lot of PIC stuff using SDCC which took away all the hassles of it's bank-switched nastiness...

Then again, Atari asteroids was coded in under 8KB of 6502 assembler...

Gordon