Re: [LUG] A slice of Pi gets closer...

On 16/01/12 10:38, paul sutton wrote:

> That explains why the .deb file for head over heels (linux version ) is
> 15mb where as the original 8 bit game was about 32 k

That'll be the 30MB of game data compressed inside the deb. Since the
WAV file for the sound of a trumpet is larger than the RAM I had in my
ZX Spectrum I'm guessing the game is no longer comparable to the
original at least in terms of sampled sound quality ;)

Although I note the "ay" 2,404 bytes and the "mp3" version of the music
4MB, whilst audible different is definitely not worth the extra 3.9998
MB of disk space.

No really those retro games really are mostly dreadful, and those fond
memories are often disappointed by the reality when you fire up your ZX
Spectrum simulator and see what the original was like (rather than what
you remember, or reworked versions of same).

ZX Spectrum
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_5V6LxFNQc

Amiga
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ornJoqJD1Ks

Remake 2009
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXCVcEIHSP8
http://retrospec.sgn.net/games/hoh/screenshot17.html

I know which I'd rather play.

Really the complaint shouldn't be that the modern stuff is bigger, the
complaint should be it is insanely bigger, and that we have insanely
more choice, things are insanely more complex, and that as a result
things often aren't actually much quicker (although the spectrum game
would have taken minutes to load off audio tape) or more reliable even
if the hardware is insanely faster and more reliable. Games are the
least of our worries here.

I tried to track down a character set problem on a web application once,
and you would not believe how many times a simple string was converted
into, out of, or checked for validity as a UTF-8 or Latin-1 string in
one POST request to a web server. Some of that was tacky programming by
the author, some of it was just poor choices of defaults in databases,
but ultimately too many layers, too many languages, and too much
complexity. After all that the performance drag was one regular
expression in a Perl module eating MOST of the CPU for various reasons,
which hints at how stunningly fast it could be if we did it in a simpler
cleaner fashion.

To an extent the time taken bloats to fill acceptable human experience,
but the boot time on my box is no doubt influenced by all the start-up
scripts being interpreted, and some of them using different
interpreters. All the sorts of things Steve Jobs moaned about in some
letter or other...

The other day I fired up top, and saw I was using 500MB of RAM before I
was doing anything useful. Stopping nagios, Apache, mysql, postfix,
..... etc to get me a stripped down desktop sort of experience reduced
memory usage rather less than one would hope, and I still had a zillion
processes running some of which I have zero idea of their purpose
despite using this distro for a LONG time. I could hazard a guess at
"bluetoothd" except there aren't any bluetooth devices in this box as
far as I know....

And something seems to have caused the kernel to try and treat my USB
hub for keyboard and joystick as a USB2 hub (I can't type that fast), so
I had to do some deep magic poking in the kernel to tell it to stop when
really this sort of thing should be automatic now.

Sometimes a lot of programming complexity to get a simple user
experience is justified, but these days a lot of it is programming
around other bits of programming because you don't feel empowered to
junk the whole boot mechanism for something faster, or throw out entire
daemons in pursuit of simplicity. Or realising if you do change the
infrastructure you'll break compatibility and thus potential market
share. As such if "Linux" survives it might well be by ditching a lot of
Unix legacy, and forking off an Android or similar. I think Android
proves the idea that "make it profitable and they'll write the apps" is
still fine, you don't need everything on day one. Although they have
vast resource and a lot of developers I think as much could be done with
less.