Re: [LUG] A slice of Pi gets closer...

On Mon, 16 Jan 2012, Rob Beard wrote:

On 16/01/12 11:53, Gordon Henderson wrote:

Gone are the days of knowing an Apple II or BBC Micro in & out - knowing
what ever peek/poke meant. Is that a good or bad thing? I'm not sure.
Who knows.

Gordon

Not sure, maybe it's a bad thing? I'm looking to get an old C64 and learn assembler on it, no real reason, just something to do as I've always been curious about it. :-)

There's a lot on ebay... I never was a commodore fan myself though, always Apple, bbc... What I'd probably do is get am emulator though... I did a lot of 6502 assembler once upon a time, but I had a "proper" assembler which ran on the Apple II which I could then use to program eeproms to go into some custom built control boards I'd designed.

I have been scouring ebay for some old computer hardware recently for another project - make sure you get a machine in working order with a disk drive of some sorts though - but some of the old machines do go for quite a premium - especially in working order. I just missed an auction of 3 x non-working BBC units & monitors which was collect-only in Brixham - £15 it went for and I'd not set a reminder to check before the auction ended.. I was convinced I could make at least one of them work though!

An old Sinclair Mk14 went for $3000 recently too.. I have one in working order, maybe not quite as pristine as the one on ebay, however...

There are also a lot of BBC micros on ebay - they have a built-in assembler disguised as part of the BBC Basic - it's quite effective, and the cassette interface was reasonable if you don't get one with disks...

And the 6502 wasn't a bad little chip either. I never did get into any of the Z80 based systems, despite working on an 8080 industrial controller for a year (in assembler) and owning an actual CP/M machine!

Gordon